I had the extreme pleasure of attending Open Sauces in Bruxelles yesterday which was organised by the great people at fo.am. I was invited to give a toast and did so on a course that was served with a plate from the Topoware collection. I thought I’d archive what I said.
Before I take a bite
I’m thinking about
- what i wish i hadn’t eaten yesterday
- what i will eat tomorrow
- the millions of obese children in the UK
- how i used to be able to carry a really heavy laptop around all the time
- how its so easy to get kids to exercise but not adults
- how many staircases will i have to go up and down to burn this off?
- how I wished we weren’t so addicted to elevators and escalators
- how i should make an effort to eat more locally
- i hope the people involved in picking this food were well treated
- i hope the food miles of this meal aren’t too high
- how much of this will end up being thrown away
- could i have grown it myself?
- how much did this cost?
- how many calories this is anyway
- i wonder if the ingredients list is lying
- is this part of my 5 a day?
- is this too much? not enough?
- how much salt is in this?
- how much sugar is in this?
- what kind of vitamins am i getting from this?
- am i equipped to digest this?
- how my mother told me its not polite to leave food in your plate
- how certain foods stopped being part of my diet after childhood
- how I can still remember my mom’s chicken sauce recipe just by thinking about it
And then I take a sip and take a bite and let my tongue do the thinking for me.