It’s super busy here and although I don’t think we’ll end up with #weeknotes I thought I’d share what’s going on.
- I’m in New Zealand at the moment on my second week of an Internet of Things Fellowship in Hamilton’s Wintec Applied Research Institute. These guys have a lot of sensor-based client projects especially in the farming sector but I’m helping them understand the potential of their facilities in other contexts and who they could collaborate with. I’ve been working with the very talented Gert Hattingh and Mariana Van Der Walt here and bullied them into starting a Twitter feed too.
- I’m also finishing off a piece of research on smart cities for Nominet R&D who have been asked by Oxford City Council to look at the local and international landscape to help them develop a relevant strategy.
- We’re running a Demo Day for Intel’s new internet of things platform Edison on the 28th, it’s a free event and although it’s already sold out, we’ve put up a waiting list. The day is lead by Adrian McEwen our long-standing collaborator in Liverpool. Our experience with these things is that there’s always some last minute cancellations, so if you’re interested, sign up! We’re also looking for an additional sponsor to help cover food on the day (from our friends at Feast) if you’re interested, drop me a line.
- We ran the first edition of IOTAngels, a half day introduction to the internet of things for investors last month and our next edition will run on December 16th right before the IOT London Meetup Christmas Showcase.
- We’re also helping ImagoTechMedia to scout out some local talent in the startup community to showcase at an upcoming Insurance & Internet of Things conference in London in January. Sign up on F6S if you’d like to show your project to the conference attendees or get in touch with Jan if you’d like to speak or sponsor the event!
- The second edition of Connected, a quarterly paper publication on the internet of things is out now on sale worldwide. Many thanks to Tristam Sparks an old friend from my Ivrea days for joining the team in designing this very professional layout.
- I’ve decided after 2 years to make a small batch of Good Night Lamps under the corporate umbrella of designswarm. We’re partnering with Eseye, an M2M company we met on the Eyehub project last year. If you’re interested in a limited edition of the lamps using walnut veneer, have a look at our little secret store where we have a few left on our batch of 100 Sets.
- I’ll be speaking and participating in a workshop on accessible internet of things products in Antwerp, an event organised by DIOTT.
- Next year I’ll be coming States-side (that rarely happens) to contribute to the Great Lakes Software Conference in Michigan. If you’re at either of these come say hi and if you’re interested in having me speak at an event, you now need to get in touch with the London Speaker Bureau who are now representing me!